Shirataki Pad Thai
If you’re looking for a vegan and gluten-free twist on a classic pad thai recipe, this vegan shirataki pad thai is sure to satisfy your cravings!
Shirataki noodles, made from the konjac yam, are a low-carb and grain-free alternative to traditional wheat noodles. They have a chewy texture and absorb the flavors of the sauce and vegetables they are cooked with, making them a perfect choice for this pad thai recipe.
You can buy shirataki noodles online or in the refrigerated section of the produce department in many supermarkets, as well as at specialty Asian markets and health food stores.
Shirataki Pad Thai
For the dressing:
For the pad thai:
- 500 gm. shirataki noodles / konjac (18 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 gm. firm tofu (7 oz.) - cut into cubes
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 2 medium bell peppers (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium carrot (julienned)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons toasted peanuts (chopped - to garnish)
- 2 lime wedges (to garnish)
Step A: Prepare the dressing
- In a mason jar, add all the dressing ingredients: coconut aminos + coconut sugar + lemon juice + tamarind paste + chili oil + toasted sesame oil + salt + pepper. Seal the jar and mix well to combine. Dressing is ready. Set aside.
Step B : Prepare the pad thai
- Rinse the packaged shirataki noodles a couple of times and drain. Set aside for a while.
- Set a large cooking pan over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once it's hot, add the cubed tofu and stir-fry on all sides, or until golden.
- Remove the tofu and set it aside.
- Add garlic + onion to the pan and stir-sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until they're slightly brown.
- Add sliced bell pepper + julienned carrots and stir-cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add the (now drained) shirataki noodles + fried tofu + dressing to the pan.
- Mix really well and cook for 2-3 minutes. In my experience, it's super easy to mix using tongs.
- Add freshly chopped green onions + cilantro and mix some more.
- Pad thai is now ready. Transfer to serving bowl(s) and garnish with chopped toasted peanuts, with a lime wedge on the side. Enjoy!
If you liked this Vegan Shirataki Pad Thai recipe, check out this delicious Peanut Sauce Udon Noodles recipe I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan, Air Fryer Vegan, and all my upcoming cookbooks where I teach you how to make hundreds of delicious plant-based recipes.
Thank you for stopping by!
Keywords: Vegan pad Thai, Gluten-free, Asian noodles, Shirataki noodles, Konjac yam, Low-carb, Grain-free, Garlic, Onion, Bell peppers, Carrots, Peanut butter, Soy sauce, Agave nectar, Chili flakes, Lime juice, Cilantro, Peanuts