Pearl Barley Salad
Hi friends! If you’re looking for a tasty and satisfying salad that’s packed with nutrients, look no further than Pearl Barley Salad.
This recipe combines cooked pearl barley with a variety of fresh vegetables, like bell peppers and cucumbers, and legumes like red beans for a filling and balanced meal. A simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic ties all the ingredients together, making this salad a perfect choice for a light yet satisfying lunch or dinner.
You can even add some greens like arugula or spinach to boost the nutrient content and make it more filling. It’s super versatile and you can customize it to suit your taste.
Pearl Barley Salad
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (sugar/maple syrup/jaggery)
- 1 cup raw pearl barley (cooked - see notes below for instructions)
- 1 cup raw red beans (cooked - see notes below for instructions...or simply use 2 canned red beans)
- 1/2 cups bell peppers (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cucumber (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1/3 cups walnuts (toasted)
- In a large mixing bowl, add extra virgin olive oil + lemon juice + salt + pepper + garlic + sweetener.
- Mix well using a whisker.
- Next, add the cooked pearl barley + red beans + bell peppers + cucumber + cilantro + toasted walnuts.
- Combine everything using a spatula.
- Pearl barley & red bean salad is ready. Enjoy! 🙂
- To cook pearl barley, rinse the barley until water runs clean. Soak for 30 minutes. Then cook for 10-15 minutes, or until it's soft to the chew.
- To cook raw red beans, soak in water for the same 30 minutes. Then pressure-cook for 25-30 minutes, or until it's soft.
If you liked this Pearl Barley Salad, check out this delicious Vegan Couscous Salad recipe we posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan, Air Fryer Vegan, and all my upcoming cookbooks where I teach you how to make hundreds of delicious plant-based recipes.
Thank you for stopping by!
Keywords: filling vegan salad recipe, pearl barley, red beans, nutritious and healthy recipe, full meal, whole grain, dressing, cilantro, salad for lunch and dinner, plant-based salad recipe ideas