Chickpea Tofu Curry
When it comes to Indian cuisine, curry is one of the most popular and beloved dishes. And for good reason – it’s rich, flavorful, and satisfying. And this Chickpea Tofu Curry delivers exactly that. It’s made with all the classical Indian spices, including cumin, turmeric, and ginger, and it honestly tastes better than any restaurant-served curry I’ve ever had.
To make the curry, I used soaked and cooked (homemade) chickpeas, but you can definitely use canned ones if you’re short on time. I also added tofu to the mix, which adds a nice texture and (extra) protein to the dish.
When it comes to serving, this dish is best served with rice or naan. And don’t forget to sprinkle a generous amount of freshly chopped cilantro on top. The cilantro adds a nice freshness and contrast to the rich and flavorful curry.
Chickpea Tofu Curry
Ingredients for Tofu (stir-fry)
Ingredients for Masala (sauce mixture)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 2 green chilies (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 cups chickpeas (cooked)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro (freshly chopped)
- In a large bowl, add tofu + rice flour + salt + pepper. Stir and mix. Make sure the tofu is well-coated with the flour.
- Set a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add the tofu and saute on all sides until golden-brown. Transfer them to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil (in the same skillet). Once hot, add garlic + ginger + green chilies + onion. Stir-saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onions turn golden.
- Add tomato puree + turmeric powder + cumin powder + coriander powder + salt. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes over low heat (stirring frequently). The spices must be thoroughly cooked with the sauce.
- Next, add cooked chickpeas + water. Give it a stir, cover the lid, and cook for 5 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Open the lid, add fried tofu + coconut cream + freshly chopped cilantro. Mix gently. Your chickpea tofu curry is now ready! Serve over rice or with flatbreads!
If you enjoyed this Chickpea Tofu Curry recipe, check out this delicious Vegan Thai Red Curry I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: Vegan curry, Chickpea curry, Tofu curry, Indian spices, Homemade chickpeas, Canned chickpeas, Rice, Naan, Cilantro, Flavorful, Meatless, Dairy-free, Protein-rich, Vegetarian, Indian cuisine, Delicious, Easy to make, Restaurant-style, Healthy, Nutritious, Gluten-free.
Simple, quick recipe that tastes amazing
Thank you, M. I’m glad you enjoyed it. 🙂 -Neelam
My friend and I quite enjoyed this recipe – thank you!. Since I didn’t have green chiles, I added some green peas to add a pop of color (even if not the same taste, lol). Also used a 15 oz can of chopped tomatoes in place of the water and tomato paste, since I had no paste on hand.
The recipe says it’s for 2 people, but I’d say it would serve 3 easily. No complaints on that – I’m glad for the leftovers!