This Cheesy Smoky Pasta turned out AMAZING!
I used charred and mashed eggplant for the smoky flavor + creamy texture. Another super ingredient is Nutritional Yeast – it made everything incredibly cheesy.
If you’re a fan of the Indian recipe Baingan Bharta, you’ll absolutely love this.
Cheesy Smoky Pasta
Step A : Prepare the (smoky) eggplant
- Using a sharp knife, make 4 vertical slits (1/2 inch deep) in 4 opposite directions of the eggplant.
- Transfer the eggplant to a stovetop/grill and roast over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, or until the skin is completely charred, and the eggplant turns soft and 'pulpy'. Make sure you turn the eggplant every 2 minutes so as to roast it evenly.You can also use an oven if you want (although it won't have that authentic smokey profile). Simply roast for 40 minutes at 500 F (250 C), flipping halfway. Then broil for 5 minutes.
- Once roasted, let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Then peel and discard the skin.
- Mash the eggplant using a potato masher and set aside.
Step B : Saute & Blend
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add oil. Once it's hot, add garlic + onion and stir-saute for 1-2 minutes, or until the onion's translucent.
- Add the frozen peas and stir-saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer everything to a blender.
- Next, add smoked eggplant + lemon juice + salt + pepper + smoked paprika + nutritional yeast + soy milk to the blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
Step C : Boil the pasta
- Set a saucepan over high heat. Add water + salt and bring it to a boil.
- Once it boils, add pasta and cook it according to its package instruction.
- Add frozen corn 2-3 minutes before turning off the heat.
- Turn off the heat. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Step D : Mix everything
- Add the blended mixture + freshly chopped cilantro to the bowl. Mix well. If the texture is too thick, add a couple tablespoons of soy milk and mix again. Serve.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan, Air Fryer Vegan, and all my upcoming cookbooks where I teach you how to make hundreds of delicious plant-based recipes.
Thank you for stopping by!