Onion Fritters, also known as Pyaaz Pakoda, are a popular snack in India and Pakistan.
These crispy and delicious fritters are made with a simple batter of gram flour (besan), rice flour, and spices, and are deep-fried to perfection. They’re perfect for a quick and easy snack, or as an appetizer at parties and gatherings.
The key to making delicious Onion Fritters is to use the freshest ingredients and to fry them at the right temperature. The onions should be sliced thinly and evenly, and the batter should be thick enough to coat them nicely. And the oil should be hot enough to make the fritters golden brown and crispy, but not so hot that they burn.
They’re great on their own as a snack, but they’re also delicious served with chutneys or dipping sauces. Some popular choices include Imli Chutney and Cilantro Chutney, which add a tangy and flavorful twist to the fritters. But you can also enjoy them with ketchup or any other sauce of your choice.
- 1 medium potato grated
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 cup cilantro freshly chopped
- Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. (As you mix them, squeeze the potato and onion to release their juices). This juice + flour will help 'bind' the mixture.
- Scoop around 2 tablespoons of the mixture and deep-fry until golden-brown on all sides.
- Transfer the fritters onto a paper towel. Serve them hot with ketchup or your favorite chutney.
If you enjoyed this Onion Fritters recipe, check out this delicious Kidney Bean Burger I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: indian, vegan, gluten-free, pyaz pakoda, pyaaz pakoda, vegan fritters, deep-fried recipes, onion fritters, vegan snack recipe, onion fritters
Thank you for this recipe. I absolutely love pakoras and these came out so good.
the pakoras look absolutely crunchy and perfect for a rainy day.the rice flour made it even crunchier.absolutely loved it.
We are enjoying our Vegan diet and have not had any hunger pains. Thank you for the recipes