Vegan Mushroom Barley Risotto Recipe
If you’re looking for a delicious and vegan-friendly alternative to traditional risotto, give this vegan mushroom barley risotto recipe a try. Not only is it packed with flavor, but it’s also super easy to make and requires just a few simple ingredients.
One of the best parts about this recipe is that it utilizes blended mushrooms to give it an insanely rich and umami flavor, as well as a creamy texture. Trust me, you’ll be amazed at how delicious it is.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it uses pearl barley instead of traditional arborio rice. Not only is pearl barley more affordable, but it’s also just as delicious once it’s cooked properly. And don’t forget to garnish with some freshly chopped parsley or cilantro for an extra burst of flavor.
Mushroom Barley Risotto
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in a bowl of hot water for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, soak rinsed barley in hot water for 20 minutes.
- *After 20 minutes* Once they're soaked, drain the mushrooms (do not discard the soaking water) and slice them into pieces. Also drain the barley. Set aside.
- Set a cooking pan over medium heat. Add oil. Once it's hot, add garlic + onion and stir-sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the button mushrooms + shiitake mushrooms and stir-sauté for 10 minutes, or until much of the moisture is gone.
- Now remove and transfer around 1 cup of this mixture to a blender and blend (with the soaking mushroom water from earlier) until creamy. Transfer it back to the cooking pan.
- Add rice vinegar + salt + pepper + barley + water to the pan. Stir-mix and cover the pan. Cook over medium heat for 15-18 minutes, or until the barley is soft. Make sure you give it a quick stir every 4-5 minutes.
- Once cooked, add freshly chopped parsley / cilantro and mix. Creamy, umami mushroom barley risotto is ready. Transfer to serving dishes and enjoy while it's still hot.
- If you want your risotto more creamy, simply blend more mushrooms. However, you'll need to stir more frequently while it's cooking (and under a lower heat - there is going to be a lot of splatter with a thicker/creamier risotto).
If you liked this Mushroom Barley Risotto recipe, check out this delicious Pearl Barley Salad I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan, Air Fryer Vegan, and all my upcoming cookbooks where I teach you how to make hundreds of delicious plant-based recipes.
Thank you for stopping by!
Keywords: vegan mushroom barley risotto, pearl barley, vegetable broth, mushrooms, onion, garlic, olive oil, parsley, cilantro, vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, plant-based, hearty, flavorful, creamy, umami, easy to make, simple ingredients, vegan risotto, mushroom risotto, barley risotto, vegan mushroom recipe, pearl barley recipe, plant-based meal, cozy dinner