Vegan Dan Dan Noodles
Hello, friends! Today, I’m excited to share with you one of my favorite culinary discoveries – Vegan Dan Dan Noodles!
After much trial and error, I managed to veganize this classic Chinese noodle, and I can’t wait to share it with you all.
Quick intro: Dan Dan Noodles, or 担担面 (dàndànmiàn) in Mandarin, is a spicy and savory noodle dish originating from the Sichuan province in China.
Traditionally, it’s made with minced pork, vegetables, chili oil, and Sichuan pepper, giving it a distinctive numbing sensation. The name “Dan Dan” refers to the pole street vendors who used to carry the noodles and sauce when selling them on the streets.
To make this dish vegan, I swapped out pork with two plant-based alternatives: mushrooms and tofu. These two ingredients not only provide a satisfying texture similar to meat but also absorb the flavors of the sauce beautifully.
For the veggies, I boiled a couple of Bok Choy and served it with the noodles.
Let’s go! 🙂
Vegan Dan Dan Noodles
To prepare the chili sauce,
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1.5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan pepper
- 1/2 cup Sichuan chili oil
To prepare mushroom-tofu mixture,
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 200 gm. button mushrooms, chopped (200 gm. = 7 oz.)
- 300 gm. firm tofu - frozen, thawed, and crumbled (300 gm. = 10.5 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
To prepare bok choy,
- Bok Choy
To cook noodles,
- 250 gm. ramen noodles (250 gm. = 8.8 oz.)
- Toasted peanuts
- Green onion
Step A : Prepare chili sauce
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all the chili sauce ingredients : peanut butter + soy sauce + rice vinegar + garlic + green onions + sugar + sichuan pepper + sichuan chili oil.
- Mix well to combine and set aside.
Step B : Prepare mushroom-tofu mixture
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add sesame oil.
- Once it's hot, add mushrooms + crumbled tofu and stir-sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and stir-cook for 2 more minutes.
- Mushroom-tofu mixture is ready. Set aside.
Step C : Prepare bok choy
- Boil water in a large saucepan. Add sliced bok choy and boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
Step D : Cook noodles
- To the same saucepan, add ramen noodles. Cook according to the packaged instructions.
- Once cooked, drain and transfer the noodles to a serving bowl.
Step E : Assemble
- Top the noodles with tofu-mushroom mixture. Generously pour the chili oil sauce on top and place the boiled bok choy on the side.
- Garnish with freshly chopped green onion and toasted (salted) peanuts.
- Vegan Dan Dan Noodles is ready. Enjoy!
- The nutrition chart does not contain macros from toasted peanuts (garnishing).
If you liked this Vegan Dan Dan Noodles recipe, check out this delicious Tofu Green Chutney Sandwich I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: vegan dan dan noodles, plant-based dan dan recipe, easy vegan noodles, Chinese vegan noodles, spicy vegan noodles, vegan sesame noodle recipe, vegan Sichuan noodles, vegan Asian recipes, vegan peanut noodle recipe, vegan street food recipes, best vegan noodle recipes, meatless dan dan noodles, vegan noodles with tofu, vegan dinner ideas