Vegan Chickpea Scramble
Are you looking for a breakfast that’s easy to make, nutritious, and packed with flavor? Look no further than this delicious Vegan Chickpea Scramble recipe. It’s perfect for busy mornings and it’s ready in under 20 minutes.
The spinach, which we add at the end of the cooking, is the secret star of this recipe. It adds a nice dose of greens and nutrients to the dish. The smoked paprika also adds a mild smoky flavor that really takes this scramble to the next level. This recipe is packed with protein, making it a perfect, wholesome breakfast.
Serve it as is, or with toast, or even some avocado for a truly delicious and nutritious breakfast.
Vegan Chickpea Scramble
- 1 cup chickpeas (see NOTES for canned chickpeas)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups spinach roughly chopped
- Soak chickpeas for at least 8 hours. Then pressure cook for 10 minutes (if using electric pressure cooker), or for 6-7 whistles (if using jiggle-top pressure cooker), or until the chickpeas are tender.
- Once they're cooked, drain and mash the chickpeas. Set aside.
- Set a pan over low-medium heat. Add oil.
- Once it's hot, add garlic + onion and saute until golden.
- Now add mashed chickpeas + bell pepper + tomato + turmeric powder + smoked paprika + salt + pepper.
- Mix well and cook for 5-6 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Next, add the spinach and mix well. Cook for around 2 minutes over low-medium. Vegan chickpea scramble is now ready.
- Can't wait for dried chickpeas to soak? You can use 2 cups of canned chickpeas (around 1 can). Drain, rinse, mash and continue from step 3.
If you enjoyed this Vegan Chickpea Scramble recipe, check out this delicious Vegan Shoyu Ramen recipe I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: Vegan breakfast, Chickpea scramble, Spinach, Smoked paprika, Nutritious, Flavorful, Quick and easy, Protein-rich, Vegan diet, Meatless, Dairy-free, Vegetarian, Indian cuisine, Delicious, Busy morning, Tasty, High-protein, Healthy meal.
I make this as breakfast almost every 2 days. Absolutely love it.
Omg so delicious!! I’m definitely recommending to others.
Thank you. I’m so glad you liked it. -Neelam
I made this today & it was good. However, I used canned chickpeas but they didn’t mash straight out the can. Even after cooking for a few min they didn’t easily mash & tasted a bit dry. I think I’ll try boiling them a bit beforehand or cooking fresh ones next time. Or maybe I did something wrong.