Vegan Butter Chicken
Vegan Butter Chicken is a delicious and healthy alternative to traditional butter chicken that uses seitan as the main ingredient.
Seitan, also known as wheat gluten, is a versatile and nutritious meat substitute that is high in protein and low in fat. It’s the perfect base for creating a vegan version of this classic Indian dish.
The key to making a great vegan butter chicken is to knead the seitan well. This step may take a bit of time, but it’s essential to achieving the right texture for the dish.
A well-kneaded seitan will give your dish a chicken-like texture that is perfect for mimicking the flavors of traditional butter chicken.
Vegan Butter Chicken
To prepare seitan,
To prepare gravy,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1-inch ginger (chopped)
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
Preparing the seitan 'chicken' pieces,
- In a large mixing bowl, add wheat gluten + nutritional yeast + garlic powder + onion powder + smoked paprika + salt + pepper + BBQ seasoning mix.
- Stir and mix well. Then add soy sauce + warm water. With the help of a spatula, combine the dry + wet ingredients.
- As it starts to form a dough, switch over to your hands and knead well. Kneading is really important (I knead them for like 7-10 minutes). A well-kneaded seitan is meaty and elastic.
- Tear the seitan into smaller chunks (around 1-inch pieces) and set aside.
- Heat a saucepan and add 4 cups veggie broth. Bring it to a simmer. Now add the seitan chunks and gently simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Remove and drain the pieces.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Once it's hot, add the seitan pieces and saute for 4-5 minutes or until it starts to brown. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Preparing the gravy,
- Heat the same pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Once it's hot, add bay leaf + cinnamon stick + clove + cardamom. Stir and saute for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add garlic + ginger + onion. Stir and saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add tomato puree + turmeric powder + coriander powder + cumin powder + salt. Mix well, cover the lid, and cook for 8-10 minutes over low heat (stir occasionally).
- Open the lid, add 1 cup water and mix well. Add the browned seitan pieces and mix some more. Cover the lid and cook for 5 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Turn off the heat. Add coconut cream + freshly chopped cilantro and give it a gentle stir. Vegan butter chicken is ready. Serve over rice, roti, or naan.
- Nutrition chart is for reference. Nutrition from rice isn't included.
If you enjoyed this Vegan Butter Chicken recipe, check out this delicious Vegan Palak Paneer recipe I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan, Air Fryer Vegan, and all my upcoming cookbooks where I teach you how to make hundreds of delicious plant-based recipes.
Thank you for stopping by!
Keywords: vegan chicken, butter chicken, seitan, Indian flavors, kneading seitan, meat substitute, protein-rich, vegetarian recipe, dairy-free, gluten-free, nutritional yeast, garam masala, cumin, coriander, turmeric, smoked paprika, cashew cream, cilantro, Indian vegan cuisine