Lemon Spinach Risotto
Risotto is a classic Italian dish that is known for its creamy texture and comforting warmth. This particular recipe for Lemon Spinach Risotto is a variation that adds a refreshingly tangy flavor thanks to the addition of lemon juice and zest. Nutritional yeast is also included, which helps give the dish a cheesy flavor without the use of traditional dairy products.
Not only is this dish warm, comforting, tangy, creamy, and cheesy, it is also healthy. It is loaded with spinach, a nutrient-dense leafy green that is high in vitamins and iron.
This recipe is also super easy to prepare, and requires simple everyday ingredients. And if you want to get creative, you can easily substitute spinach with other leafy greens like kale, bok choy, arugula etc.
Lemon Spinach Risotto
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 5 cups veggie stock (hot or warm)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (more for a cheesier taste & texture)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups spinach (or your fav greens)
- Salt & Pepper (if needed)
- Set a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Once it's hot, add garlic + onion and stir-saute for 2-3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Next, add arborio rice and stir-saute for 3 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup of (hot or warm) veggie stock. Stirring continuously, cook until much of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add another cup of veggie stock. Stirring continuously, cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step until you've used 4 (out of 5) cups of stock.
- Now add nutritional yeast + lemon zest + lemon juice + remaining 1 cup veggie stock. Stir-cook until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add spinach and give everything a good mix. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until much of the liquid is absorbed...and the risotto is nice and creamy (please see video for reference).
- Turn off the heat. Serve hot.
If you liked this Lemon Spinach Risotto recipe, check out this delicious Sweet Pulao recipe we posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan, Air Fryer Vegan, and all my upcoming cookbooks where I teach you how to make hundreds of delicious plant-based recipes.
Thank you for stopping by!
Keywords: Lemon Risotto, spinach risotto, comforting dish, tangy and creamy, dairy-free and cheesy, Spinach, Nutritional Yeast, Warm and comforting, Lemon Juice and zest, Nutrient-dense leafy green, Simple and easy recipe, Italian dish, Classic Risotto, Vegetable broth, Healthy and delicious, nutritional yeast