This is our 5th iteration of single-layered chocolate cake and we’re super stoked to share it with everyone.
The cake base is light & fluffy and requires no vegan butter. The chocolate ganache has only 2 ingredients – and is equally easy to prepare.
Easy Vegan Chocolate Cake
To prepare the cake base,
- 1.25 cup all-purpose flour (Note: 1.25 cup = 1 cup + 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.25 cup soy milk (1.25 cup = 1 cup + 1/4 cup)
To prepare chocolate ganache,
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut milk (hot)
Preparing cake base,
- In a large mixing bowl, add sifted all-purpose flour + cocoa powder + baking powder + baking soda + salt + powdered sugar. Mix well.
- To this mixture, add coconut oil + vanilla extract + soy milk. Mix & whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter to a parchment-lined cake mould and bake for 40 minutes at 160 C (320 F).
Preparing chocolate ganache,
- In a small mixing bowl, combine dark chocolate chips + hot coconut milk. Mix until the chocolate melts and transfer to your fridge. Let it chill for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
- Once it's chilled, whisk the ganache until it's nicely aerated (don't over-whisk).
- Pour the ganache over the cake. Gently spread and cover the cake with the ganache. Vegan chocolate cake is ready.
- While preparing ganache, if chocolate chips aren't melting when mixed with hot coconut milk, you can combine them in a saucepan and heat over low-medium. Or you can simply microwave them for 30 - 30 seconds.
- I used canned coconut milk in this recipe.
This turned out great. I made it as a birthday cake for my mom and she loved it. Great recipe.
This certainly does look delicious! I was wondering if you are using canned coconut milk or the kind in the carton? You weren’t specific about which kind to use. Thanks for the recipe.
Hi Heidi, sorry about the confusion. I used canned coconut milk. Thanks! 🙂