Creamy Hummus recipe that makes a perfect spread/dip for your pitas, veggies, crackers, and more!
Homemade hummus recipe.Pin Recipe
Servings -2 cups
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup cold water
- extra virgin olive oil
- Soak 1 cup chickpeas in 3-4 cups water for 8 hours.
- Rinse, drain, and transfer the chickpeas to an Instant Pot (or a stovetop pressure cooker). Add baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups water.
- For Instant Pot, set the timer to 15 minutes on high pressure. For stovetop pressure cooker, set the heat to medium and cook for 6-8 whistles.
- Once they're cooked, drain and remove the skin. Rubbing the chickpeas gently using a kitchen towel helps separate the skins faster.
- Transfer the skinned chickpeas to a food processor. Add garlic cloves, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until they're 'lumpy'.
- Now add the tahini and blend until the lumps are gone and the mixture starts to smoothen.
- Gradually add cold water and blend more until creamy. That's it! Your creamy hummus is ready. Add olive oil and sprinkle paprika on top. Serve with pita bread, vegetables, and crackers.
- Baking soda makes the skinning of chickpeas easier.
- You can also cook the chickpeas in a pan. Just make sure to cover the lid and add enough water. 🙂
- Skinning the chickpeas is optional but recommended - especially if you want a smooth, creamy hummus.
- You can store this for 3-4 days in the fridge. I wouldn't suggest more than that because raw garlic + salt don't really go well much longer.
Calories: 353 kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.3 g | Protein: 11.7 g | Fat: 25.3 g | Sodium: 1218.3 mg | Fiber: 6.8 g | Sugar: 0.4 g
Tried this recipe?Mention @itsveganbell or tag #veganbell!