Apple Vermicelli Pudding
Vermicelli pudding (aka Seviyan, or Sewai Kheer) is a spiced Indian pudding made with milk and a thin short noodle, vermicelli.
I veganized the traditional recipe by replacing milk with almond milk (you can use any plant milk you like), and also introduced my own spin by adding diced green apples.
The result is this sweet, tarty, and creamy pudding. You can enjoy it warm or chilled (super delicious either way).
Let’s go! 🙂
Apple Vermicelli Pudding
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 medium apples diced
- 4 tablespoons jaggery (or use coconut sugar, or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2.5 cups almond milk (or plant milk of your choice)
- Walnuts (toasted and chopped)
- Set a thick-bottomed pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon vegan butter + cinnamon stick + diced apple. Stir-sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon jaggery (or coconut sugar, or brown sugar). Mix well and sauté for 1 minute.
- Scoop 1/2 portion of apple and set aside (we'll use it later as topping).
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons vegan butter + vermicelli. Stir and cook for 4 minutes.
- Next, add the remaining 3 tablespoons jaggery + raisins + cardamom powder + almond milk. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the vermicelli is nicely cooked and the pudding is thick and creamy.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the pudding to serving bowl(s). Top up with the reserved apples + toasted walnuts.
- Apple vermicelli pudding is ready. Enjoy it hot or chilled.
- Jaggery is a type of unrefined sugar made from sugar cane or palm. It has a subtle 'caramel' flavor and is used extensively in Indian dishes. You can easily replace it with coconut sugar, brown sugar, or maple syrup.
If you liked this Apple Vermicelli Pudding, check out this delicious Chocolate Quinoa Porridge I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan Cookbook (and all my upcoming cookbooks) on Qookbooks.com, where I teach you how to make 64 delicious Indian plant-based recipes ranging from rice, dals, curries, breads, desserts, and more!
Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Keywords: Indian sweet vermicelli pudding, Sevai kheer recipe, Vermicelli kheer, Apple and vermicelli dessert, Vermicelli payasam, Vermicelli and apple halwa, Apple sevai pudding, Indian vermicelli kheer with apples, Apple and vermicelli kheer recipe, Vermicelli and apple kheer