Aloo Matar is a traditional Indian dish made with potatoes (Aloo) and peas (Matar). It is typically prepared with a base of onions, tomatoes, and spices, and can be served with roti, paratha, or any other type of flatbread, as well as with rice.
This side-dish (sabji) can be made in a variety of ways, with some variations including the addition of other vegetables or the use of different types of spices and seasonings. Regardless of the specific recipe, Aloo Matar is a flavorful and hearty dish that is sure to be a hit with the whole family.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 large potatoes (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 large tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (aka Amchur)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (freshly chopped)
- Set a pan over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once it's hot, add cumin seeds and let them splutter for 30-40 seconds, or until they're brown.
- Add garlic + ginger + chili + onion. Stir-sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until golden-brown.
- Add potatoes and stir-sauté for 1 minute. Then cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- *After 5 minutes* Uncover the pan and give it a quick mix. Add tomatoes + turmeric powder + Kashmiri red chili powder + cumin powder + coriander powder + dried mango powder (amchur) + salt.
- Stirring continuously, cook for 2 minutes.
- Then cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- *After 5 minutes* Uncover the pan and give it a quick mix. Add green peas + water. After a quick-stir, cover the pan and cook everything for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- *After 15 minutes* Uncover the pan. Using a potato masher (or the back of a ladle), gently mash around 1/3 part of the potatoes.
- Turn off the heat. Add freshly chopped cilantro and give everything a nice mix.
- Aloo Matar is now ready. Transfer to serving bowl(s) and enjoy with rice, roti, paratha or your fav flatbread.
- Feel free to adjust the quantity of spices to your liking.
- If you don't have dried mango powder, you can simply drizzle fresh lemon juice at the end.
If you liked this recipe, check out this delicious Vegan Palak Paneer recipe I posted earlier.
If you like to support me and my work, check out my Indian Vegan, Air Fryer Vegan, and all my upcoming cookbooks where I teach you how to make hundreds of delicious plant-based recipes.
Thank you for stopping by!
Keywords: Indian cuisine, Vegetarian, Vegan, Potatoes, Peas, Tomatoes, Onions, Spices, Comfort food, Budget-friendly, Traditional, Spiced potato and pea curry, classic Indian comfort food, wholesome vegan meal, nutritious and satisfying, traditional spices and seasonings, filling and flavorful side dish